PrePurchase Questions

.NET Edition of the F-IN-BOX
meengla

PrePurchase Questions

Postby meengla » Tue May 23, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi,
It sounds like an exciting product. But a few questions:
1) Are you saying that this product (the .NET version) will work on the web (Windows 2003 Server /IIS /.NET 2.0) in such a way that even if the end users do not have Flash OCX/Player installed, it will work and show the Flash files? It is important for me to know this: I have Flash based 360 degree virtual tours on my site and this can immensely help me.
2) What are the security implications for the end users? I mean, ActiveX is designed to run in a browser if allowed to run. Is it likely that Adobe/Microsoft gets knows about your Control and shuts such programming model down?
Thank you.
Meengla
http://www.AlphaObjects.com
Websites. Virtual Tours. Digital Videos

Softanics
Site Admin

Re: PrePurchase Questions

Postby Softanics » Tue May 23, 2006 5:07 pm

Thank you for your questions.

meengla wrote:1) Are you saying that this product (the .NET version) will work on the web (Windows 2003 Server /IIS /.NET 2.0) in such a way that even if the end users do not have Flash OCX/Player installed, it will work and show the Flash files? It is important for me to know this: I have Flash based 360 degree virtual tours on my site and this can immensely help me.

Primarily F-IN-BOX was for end-user standalone applications. You can use it for ASP.Net application, but you should understand that F-IN-BOX is running on the server side in this case. It is not a ASP.Net control such as a button or combo-box.

meengla wrote:2) What are the security implications for the end users? I mean, ActiveX is designed to run in a browser if allowed to run. Is it likely that Adobe/Microsoft gets knows about your Control and shuts such programming model down?

You can use an ActiveX in any ActiveX container, internet browser is one of them. F-IN-BOX primarily was created as a component that allows to add your custom flash projector to your application. That's why F-IN-BOX includes such features as flash projectors include: semitransparent forms, flash player embedding, movies embedding etc.
Best regards, Artem A. Razin,
F-IN-BOX support
Ask your question here: http://www.f-in-box.com/support.html

meengla

Postby meengla » Tue May 23, 2006 6:43 pm

Primarily F-IN-BOX was for end-user standalone applications. You can use it for ASP.Net application, but you should understand that F-IN-BOX is running on the server side in this case. It is not a ASP.Net control such as a button or combo-box.

Thanks for the prompt reply. But I still don't understand it, sorry. If I were to embed Flash ActiveX OCX in an EXE/standalone projector then I already have some options which will do that and the final application will run on all Windows computer with or without a user to have the OCX installed.
So what can do it in an ASP .NET application/aspx page which I can't do using a regular HTML page with Flash in an Object tag?
Thanks again.
Meengla
http://www.AlphaObjects.com

Websites. Virtual Tours. Digital Videos

Softanics
Site Admin

Postby Softanics » Wed May 24, 2006 12:09 pm

meengla wrote:If I were to embed Flash ActiveX OCX in an EXE/standalone projector then I already have some options which will do that and the final application will run on all Windows computer with or without a user to have the OCX installed.

Yes, you can embed flash ocx using F-IN-BOX in an EXE.

meengla wrote:So what can do it in an ASP .NET application/aspx page which I can't do using a regular HTML page with Flash in an Object tag?

I hope, I right understand your question. You want to know what tasks you can solve using the component in ASP.Net applications. For instance, you can use F-IN-BOX for ASP.Net applications that converts flash movies into a set of images or video files. F-IN-BOX is working on the server-side - it's important. For example, your task is to make a web service that gets a flash movie from an user and makes GIF image from this movie. You can use F-IN-BOX for this task: you create an instance of the component in the handler, load passed movie from a stream (without any additional intermediate temporary files), get all frames, make GIF file and send it to the client.
Best regards, Artem A. Razin,

F-IN-BOX support

Ask your question here: http://www.f-in-box.com/support.html

Return to “.NET Edition”